Netbooks... really slow with OGL... can someone help me with a solution?

Hélder Gomes orspeeder at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 13:20:08 PDT 2009

Hello!

I am a game programmer, and I live in a country where normal computer has
configurations that remember netbooks (like having VIA or SIS chipsets...).
Because of that I started making a game using memory blitting instead of
OpenGL, but I found that on X it runs really slow without OpenGL...

I was told that it is because you need to give a bitmap to X, that then copy
it to the vram, even on fullscreen.
So in my mind the solution would be have direct access to the vram, I found
out then the existance of XDGA...

But...

Does XDGA still exists? It is still shipped with X?
If the awnser to any of the previous questions are no (or if you want to
awnser anyway), there are a alternative solution?