More old hardware weirdness....

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Oct 27 16:26:56 PDT 2009

Yan Seiner wrote:
> I'm trying to resurrect this laptop, and I'm running into all sorts of
> issues...
>
> Now that I have X running, but I can't get the keyboard to work in X.
> If I configure things the way I always do,I get nothing.  (see below for
> xorg.conf snippet.)
>
> /dev/input/event? stuff works AFAICT - I can cat the devices and when I
> type junk appears.
>
> No errors in the log files.
>
> To eliminate WM weirdness, I am running
> X &
> DISPLAY :0 xterm &
>
> Not ideal, but the results are the same if I run a WM.
>
> I get a slew of warnings from xkbcomp:
>
> expected keysym, got XF86Forward: line 45 of inet
> expected keysym, got XF86Back: line 46 of inet
> expected keysym, got XF86MyComputer: line 47 of inet
> expected keysym, got XF86Mail: line 48 of inet
> expected keysym, got XF86AudioMedia: line 49 of inet
> expected keysym, got XF86PowerOff: line 55 of inet
> expected keysym, got XF86Standby: line 56 of inet
> expected keysym, got XF86WakeUp: line 57 of inet
> expected keysym, got XF86AudioMute: line 89 of inet
> expected keysym, got XF86AudioLowerVolume: line 90 of inet
> expected keysym, got XF86AudioRaiseVolume: line 91 of inet
>
> But all of them appear to be non-standard key definitions.
>
> and then I get the only indication of something wrong:
>
> Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
> Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
> Warning: Cannot convert string "nil2" to type FontStruct
> Failed to open input method
>
> I've googled the "Failed to open input method" and get absolutely
> nothing that could shed any light on this.
>
> Here's my keyboard:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier  "Keyboard0"
>     Driver      "evdev"
>     Option        "Device" "/dev/input/event0"
> EndSection
>
> If I use evdev, I get nothing at all from the keyboard.  If I use the
> "keyboard" driver with the evdev device, I get slews of garbage.
>
> Here's dmesg:
>
> root at OpenWrt:/etc/X11# dmesg | grep input
> input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as
> /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input0
> input: PS/2 Generic Mouse as /devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input1
>
> So the keyboard is definitely a normal keyboard.  It works fine in text
> mode.
>
> vt switch doesn't work; zapping does.

Forgot to add:

Here's what the log file says about the input devices:

(**) Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
(**) Mouse0: Device: "/dev/psaux"
(**) Mouse0: Protocol: "PS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Mouse0: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(==) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Mouse0: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Mouse0: Buttons: 9
(**) Mouse0: Sensitivity: 1
(**) Option "CoreKeyboard"
(**) Keyboard0: always reports core events
(**) Keyboard0: Device: "/dev/input/event0"
(II) Keyboard0: Found keys
(II) Keyboard0: Configuring as keyboard
(II) evaluating device (Mouse0)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(II) evaluating device (Keyboard0)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Keyboard0" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "xkb_rules" "base"
(**) Keyboard0: xkb_rules: "base"
(**) Option "xkb_model" "evdev"
(**) Keyboard0: xkb_model: "evdev"
(**) Option "xkb_layout" "us"
(**) Keyboard0: xkb_layout: "us"
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

--

   o__