C&T ct65545 problem

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Oct 27 10:54:20 PDT 2009

Egbert Eich wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 10:33:42AM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
>
>> That's not how the ISA bus support works (well, worked).  Since ISA is
>> not an enumerable bus, we would assume that if no PCI device was claimed
>> by any driver then the video card must be out on ISA somewhere.
>>
>> So, there's a cascade of failures here.  The PCI probe support was
>> broken, so the driver would (brokenly) not claim any PCI devices.  Then
>> the server would assume ISA, and the driver would (rightly) not find any
>> ISA devices.  Again: update your chips driver, the 65545 really is a PCI
>> device as far as I know, and newer chips drivers should have fixed the
>> detection bug.
>>

> The 65545 was a transition chipset which could be used on ISA, VL and PCI
> systems.

This particular laptop is ISA with a couple of PCMCIA 1 (16 bit) slots.
The video is on the ISA bus.

The chips driver (1.2.1 and 1.2.2) doesn't work in this configuration at
all, exiting with the error given previously.

However, the VESA driver works just fine.  It assumes a 24 bit depth and
fails as the hardware only supports 8 bits.  Once it's told to use
defaultdepth of 8, it correctly sees the C&T chipset and initializes the
screen just fine.

--Yan

--

   o__