[ANNOUNCE] Video hackfest

Benjamin Otte otte at gnome.org
Mon Oct 26 08:00:03 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'd like to announce the Video hackfest.[1]  Its goal is to improve
the Linux desktop video experience.  The hackfest will take place in
Collabora's Barcelona offices on the 4 days from Thursday, November
19th to Sunday, November 22nd, 2009. See the wiki for details[1].
A big thanks goes to the X Foundation for funding and Collabora
Multimedia for providing the location.

The idea to this hackfest originated in my idea to bridge X, Cairo and
GStreamer and make them work together better. I prototyped some code
touching every part of the stack, the result of which can be seen on
my blog[2][3]. If you are interested in technical details, I sent them
to the gstreamer and cairo lists before[4][5]. While doing this work
we realized that there is a lack of knowledge about the challenges
that the other projects face. Which is when we decided to do a
hackfest focussing on improving the Linux desktop video experience.

We are currently in the process of collecting topics for the hackfest.
The current list is at [6]. If you think there are issues that should
be discussed and are missing from the list, just add them. You don't
have to be a participant to do that. Just edit the wiki.

Also, if you think this hackfest covers exactly the stuff you are
hacking on and you should participate in the hackfest, it's most
likely a sign you are right and I forgot you. In that case, please
mail me at otte at gnome.org or poke me on IRC (my nick is Company on
freenode) and we'll figure something out. We might even be able to pay
for you, if you are a poor student.

Cheers,
Benjamin

[1]: http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoHackfest