How on earth do you set your screen res after a crash??

Luke Benstead kazade at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 06:04:17 PDT 2009

> I guess this looks like a bug with the OpenGL libraries rather than an XOrg
> one after all, as I would assume the OpenGL libraries would restore the video
> mode if the application terminated unexpectedly.

I think it is a bug with Xorg. The way I see it, an application
shouldn't be able to leave the resolution in an undesired state, if an
app crashes you should revert back to your chosen resolution.

I've brought this up before, Windows has a concept of a temporary
resolution change, if the app crashes the resolution is restored. I
think Xrandr should have such a feature, where a resolution change is
"attached" to the application window (although I have no clue about
the technical issues with that). If an application crashes, or is
alt+tabbed away from, the resolution should restore, although I don't
know what level in the stack should take care of that.

Luke.