How on earth do you set your screen res after a crash??

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Mon Oct 19 05:10:37 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Something that's bugged me for a long time with XOrg is that there seems to be
no way to recover when an application crashes after changing the screen
resolution.  In the past I have usually been able to recover with
Alt+Ctrl+KP_Plus but right at this moment those keys do nothing and I am
completely unable to change out of 640x480.

Do I have to do a Microsoft-Windows and restart just to get my screen res back?

X11 log:
(II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "2560x1600"
(II) Entity 0 shares no resources
(II) Entity 1 shares no resources
(II) Screen 0 shares mem & io resources
(II) Screen 1 shares mem & io resources
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "640x480"
(II) Entity 0 shares no resources
(II) Entity 1 shares no resources

$ xrandr
Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
RandR extension missing

$ xvidtune
Unable to query monitor info

It's beyond me how the app was even able to change the screen resolution in
the first place!  Unfortunately it's not open source so I can't copy the code
out and recompile it to set the resolution back :-(

Please let me know if anyone knows how to change X11 screen resolutions
without closing down everything and restarting.

Many thanks,
Adam.