Dual-purposing modifier keys in xkb?

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sun Oct 18 23:10:40 PDT 2009

>>>>> "Seth" == Seth House <seth at eseth.com> writes:

Seth> Is it possible to dual-purpose modifier keys with xkb (or anything
Seth> else)?  For example, if I press ctrl-f it emits ctrl-f but if I
Seth> simply press and release ctrl it sends some other keycode, such as
Seth> esc.

Maybe.  Take a look at the ctrls_toggle section of the symbols/group file.

I think that if you do something like:

partial modifier_keys
xkb_symbols "weird_cntrl" {
  virtual_modifiers LControl;
  key <LCTL> {
    virtualMods= LControl,
    symbols[Group1] = [ Escape ]
    };
};

that it might do what you want.  Call it like -option filename:weird_cntrl
in the setxkbmap command line, if you name it as I did above.

You might need to also specify a type= line in the key{} section to make
it work.

But please note that the above is *untested*.

-JimC