Finishing the X11R7.5 katamari

Sat Oct 10 15:43:42 PDT 2009

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2009, at 22:01, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>
>> All the libraries on the list are released.
>
> I notice these omissions from releases, and just want to make sure they
> are intentional:
>
> libXevie ... RIP
> libxkbui ... ???
> libXp    ... RIP
> libXtrap ... RIP

The only known consumer of libxkbui is the now-dead xorgcfg, so it didn't
seem necessary.   The other libraries aren't used by anything in the katamari,
and are for protocols either not supported by the current xserver release
(Xevie & Xtrap) or for the Xprint server that got moved to a separate module
that no one has yet stepped forward to maintain.

I have been releasing modules not in the katamari as well, but have mostly
prioritized those in the katamari ahead of those that aren't.

To make the list of what needs releases, I have a script that crawls my
local git clones, running for each one:

        LAST_TAG="$(git describe --abbrev=0)"
        if [[ -z "${LAST_TAG}" ]] ; then
            LAST_TAG="$(git describe --abbrev=0 --all HEAD^)"
        fi
        git log "${LAST_TAG}"..

making the assumption (which has worked pretty well so far) that our git
repos only really get tagged when releases are made from them.

> Could we atleast get a janitorial release of xf86miscproto before it's
> tossed by the wayside?

Sure.

> Also... I notice we're (Apple) still shipping xproxymanagementprotocol
> ... how long has that been dead?  Is there any reason why I should keep
> it around?

If I remember correctly that's a inter-client protocol, so it's needed if
you ship the programs that use it, but not for the core server.   I think
the old (pre-ssh) firewall tunneling software (xfwp) used it, among others.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com