radeon, screen option

Csillag Kristof csillag.kristof at united-consult.hu
Thu Oct 8 15:48:55 PDT 2009

Dear all,

Now that my individual monitors are operational, I would like to create
the following setup:

    Monitor 1            Monitor 2            Monitor 3
    (Connected to      (Connected to      (Connected to
    FireMV 2200)      RS690M)             FireMV2200)

If I don't do anything special, the two monitors connected to the same
card wind up as one big desktop, and I can put the third monitor RightOf
or LeftOf them. But I want to put it between them!

How do I do this?

My guess was to put the two monitors into different Screen (and
therefore, Device) sections. There seems to be some support for this, by
using the "Screen" option in the device sections.

Therefore, I have done this: (I only show the relevant part)

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "FireMV 2200-1"
        BusID           "PCI:3:6:0"
        Screen          0
        Driver          "radeon"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "FireMV 2200-2"
        BusID           "PCI:3:6:0"
        Screen          1
        Driver          "radeon"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "FireMV 2200 screen-1"
        Device          "FireMV 2200-1"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "FireMV 2200 screen-2"
        Device          "FireMV 2200-2"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "Test"
        Screen 0 "FireMV 2200 screen-1"
#        Screen 0 "FireMV 2200 screen-2"
EndSection

In the example above, the server layout references only screen-1,
but still, both monitors light up.

If I switch to screen-2, the X log says this:

    "(EE) Device(s) detected, but none match those in the config file."

So it seems to me that the Screen option does not do the trick for me.

Do you have any advice?

Thank you for your help:

       Kristof