horrible spam

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Sun Nov 29 12:30:29 PST 2009

Not your fault.  Thanks much for taking care of it.

Do we need to start doing more to control postings to this
list?  It has worked pretty well up to now, but apparently
these days humans are getting paid to sign up for things so
they can spam them.  Uggh.

Options I can think of offhand include

  * moderating all postings, for which we would need a
    dedicated team of volunteers

  * moderating subscriptions, which seems hard

  * more sophisticated captchas, perhaps x related, but I
    doubt this would solve the problem

Discussion welcome, but it beats me what we can feasibly do
to avoid a repeat.

	Bart