PCIe and PCI dual cards?

Timothy S. Nelson wayland at wayland.id.au
Sat Nov 28 02:35:19 PST 2009

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009, Jaguar Finch wrote:

> I'm trying to get a PCIe and a PCI video card to work together for a multi-monitor setup but
> I'm getting "(EE) No devices detected.  Fatal server error:  no screens found".
>
> This is under Ubunutu 9.04 and both are nvidia cards. According to the log, both cards are

[snip]

> X.Org X Server 1.6.0
> Release Date: 2009-2-25

 	Here's your problem.  Dual screen card support was broken for quite a
while.  Basically, 1.6.x doesn't support them, except by accident.  I'm a
Fedora user, and it completely failed for me for Fedora versions maybe 9-11.
Xorg 1.7 (used in Fedora 12) is supposed to support multiple graphics chips.
So here's what I see your options to be:
1.	Upgrade to xorg 1.7 and see if it helps you (you may have to upgrade
 	your whole OS to get the xorg upgrade)
2.	Downgrade to one of the versions that used to work (may not support
 	modern screen cards).
3.	Get a screen card that supports dual monitors on one chip.  Be warned
 	that these must be on one chip on the card; I have a screen card that
 	supports 4 monitors, but on Fedora 11 I can only use 2 because the
 	problem is that there are two chips on the card, and each supports two
 	monitors, but xorg 1.6 only supports one chip at a time (except under
 	special circumstances).

 	HTH,

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: wayland at wayland.id.au    | I am                           |