About license of input drivers of Xorg

Mon Nov 23 23:42:18 PST 2009

余飞 wrote:
> The context is that our corp wanna diliver Xorg to our customers.
> And you know there're many packages within Xorg, each with a lot of
> license declarations. Moreover,
> some packages have the stub license as xf86-input-keyboard-1.2.2 does.
> So, could we just collect the license declarations into a single
> COPYING file and label it as
> XXX-LICENSE(XXX is the name of the package) since It's time-consuming to
> figure out
> whether they're BSD or other specific licence type?

That's between you and your corporations lawyers and the designers of your
delivery mechanism for software and licenses.   X.Org cannot provide
legal advice or know what your policies and requirements are.

The corporation I work for doesn't have us try to classify the licenses
(they're mostly MIT or BSD variants, but not exact matches for specific
 master copies of either of those), just publish with each package we
publish a complete copy of all the licenses for the contents - but that's
based on the way our packages are delivered and the advice we got from our
lawyers about complying with the licenses and the laws of the various
countries we do business in.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com