[xmodmap] Problem with e and n

walt w41ter at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 14:35:29 PST 2009

On 11/16/2009 08:28 AM, Dirk Wallenstein wrote:
> On Sunday 15 November 2009 01:01:49 Maciej Piechotka wrote:
>
>> Everything is working except AltGr+e/E and AltGr+n/N. What is wrong?
>

> You probably have to change the key types. You can get the current keymap by
> executing this command:
>
>          $>  xkbcomp -xkb ${DISPLAY} -o keymap.xkb
>
> Now edit the resulting file keymap.xkb and find the sections for the keysym
> assignment...

> You have to change the values for the type[groupX] entries. Just take the
> values from the keys that work, and fill in the keysyms.
>
> You can install the result by executing the following command:
>
>          $>  xkbcomp keymap.xkb ${DISPLAY}

Hi Dirk, and thanks for the helpful hints.

I've mapped my CapsLock key to a plain Shift_L key, using your instructions.
Here is the output of xev (note the keycode is 66):

KeyPress event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x2000001,
     root 0x189, subw 0x0, time 35504647, (136,79), root:(140,822),
     state 0x0, keycode 66 (keysym 0xffe1, Shift_L), same_screen YES,
     XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 50
     XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
     XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
     XFilterEvent returns: False

That part is wonderful, but pressing the Caps Lock key doesn't create upper
case letters, but pressing the Shift key does.

Here is the line that I changed in the .xkb file:
     key <CAPS> {         [         Shift_L ] };

What have I missed?

Thanks!