xset error trying to set font path

Sean Bowser sab259 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 07:40:26 PST 2009

Ever since the move from Fedora 10 to Fedora 11 I have been unable to set a
remote font server for use.  The remote font server is located on a VPN
tunnel. The command that I am using specifically is:

xset +fp tcp/<host>:7000

with error:

xset: bad font path element (#23), possible causes are:

Several people in our group have used this method over VPN before we
upgraded to Fedora 11.  One is also reporting the problem continues to exist
in Fedora 12. We have tried with the firewall disabled but to no avail.  My
current version of Xorg is 1.6.4-0.1.

Can anyone prove that they ARE able to use xset now to specify a remote font
server?  I am not sure if this is a bug or if there is some additional Xorg
configuration needed for this to work.

Thanks in advance for any insight or assistance!

-Sean