[xmodmap] Problem with e and n

walter harms wharms at bfs.de
Tue Nov 17 00:56:35 PST 2009

Dirk Wallenstein schrieb:
> On Monday 16 November 2009 19:09:11 walter harms wrote:
>
>> any idea why this BadAllocmay show up ? i have plenty of ram,
>> and the resulting keymap.xkb seems resonable.
>>
>> xkbcomp -xkb ${DISPLAY} -o keymap.xkb
>> Warning:          Could not load keyboard geometry for :0.0
>>                   BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
>>                   Resulting keymap file will not describe geometry
>

> By means of the geometry description it is possible to draw a picture of
> diverse keyboards. This info is of no value in the server (it only occupies
> space) and can be obtained separately. Thus you can ignore those warnings. If
> you want to see some of those keyboard pictures you can try `xkbprint`

It seems something is returning a wrong error.

xkbcomp -xkm ${DISPLAY} -o keymap.xkm
Warning:          Could not load keyboard geometry for :0.0
                  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
                  Resulting keymap file will not describe geometry

xkbprint  keymap.xkm >keymap.ps
Error:            Couldn't read geometry from XKM file "keymap.xkm"
                  Exiting

I would say there is much work ahead, perhaps you can start adding a -version ?
(that would be helpful in situations like that here). Obviously i can generate
with xkbcomp (beside a wrong error msg) an .xkm that is not processable by xkbprint,
also a nice bug.

hope that helps for a stating point

re,
 wh