[xmodmap] Problem with e and n

walter harms wharms at bfs.de
Mon Nov 16 10:09:11 PST 2009

Dirk Wallenstein schrieb:
> On Sunday 15 November 2009 01:01:49 Maciej Piechotka wrote:
>
>> Everything is working except AltGr+e/E and AltGr+n/N. What is wrong?
>

> You probably have to change the key types. You can get the current keymap by
> executing this command:
>
>         $> xkbcomp -xkb ${DISPLAY} -o keymap.xkb
>
> Now edit the resulting file keymap.xkb and find the sections for the keysym
> assignment. They might look something like this:
>
> key <AD03> {
>    type[group1]= "FOUR_LEVEL_ALPHABETIC",
>    type[group2]= "ONE_LEVEL",
>    symbols[Group1]= [ e, E, EuroSign, EuroSign ],
>    symbols[Group2]= [ e ]
> };
>
> key <AD09> {
>     type[group1]= "FOUR_LEVEL_ALPHABETIC",
>     type[group2]= "FOUR_LEVEL_ALPHABETIC",
>     symbols[Group1]= [ o, O, End, End ],
>     symbols[Group2]= [ o, x, y, z ]
> };
>

> You have to change the values for the type[groupX] entries. Just take the
> values from the keys that work, and fill in the keysyms.
>
> You can install the result by executing the following command:
>
>         $> xkbcomp keymap.xkb ${DISPLAY}

nice tip i could not resist to test it here is my result,
unfortunately there is no -version information available
nore does the man page indicate that you can use $DISPLAY
as input.

any idea why this BadAllocmay show up ? i have plenty of ram,
and the resulting keymap.xkb seems resonable.

xkbcomp -xkb ${DISPLAY} -o keymap.xkb
Warning:          Could not load keyboard geometry for :0.0
                  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
                  Resulting keymap file will not describe geometry

re,
 wh