May I rework XKB ?

Dirk Wallenstein halsmit at t-online.de
Mon Nov 16 06:51:51 PST 2009

Hi,
I would like to ask if there is general interest in employing (more) people (in
particular me) in an effort to unearth XKB, refine it, and bring the
possibility to configure any button-device to the common user. I did not find
any open jobs that have XKB in their job description. So, I would like to turn
to people who know the state of XKB and the (as I think amazing) potential that
slumbers within it.

Over a year ago I started intensely studying XKB and related material. I
rummaged through large parts of source code, modified it, and tested the result
to understand what's happening internally (unlocking the possibility to set
arbitrary actions is one example here). In consequence, I know the data
structures and data flows used internally, the concepts, and I have some ideas
of what could be improved.

I started to program an application that would be a prerequisite to any
keyboard configuration by the common user - a graphical XKB keymap editor
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/duttulm/). It was after the inception of this
project, that I stumbled upon the XKB2 plans in form of the XDS-2007 sheets.
Well, I needed a way to demonstrate my programming skills anyway and so I kept
my focus on Duttulm. For that purpose, there is an introduction to Duttulm
hosted on sf.net, too.

I don't possess IT-certificates, but I come from a profession that is , let's
say, not foreign to programming (electronics, logic circuits, PLC), and I
worked very hard in the past years to become as professional as I could in the
following areas.

  C-Programming
  Assembly and Linking (ELF, binutils)
  Linux Kernel (the most intense time being around 2.6.13)
  C++ and Object Oriented Programming (Patterns, UML, Template Meta Programming)
  [Wireless] Network and Security
  Python
  GCC/CPP, GDB, Make, Git, Vim
  System-Administration (bash, coreutils, sed, awk, grep, strace, lsof,...)

I wanted to make a resume and PDS available, but I don't have an active US work
permit (a mandatory form field at dice.com) and monster.de does not even
support pdf (the doc and rtf conversions looked somehow weird online).
I can mail these documents on request, of course.

Greetings, Dirk.