[OT] Re: Nightly builds?

Wil Reichert wil.reichert at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 09:24:06 PST 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Simon Thum <simon.thum at gmx.de> wrote:
> Magnus Kessler wrote:
>>> Would you be so kind to explain what exactly you're talking about? I'd
>>> be highly interested...
>>>
>>> (Last time I checked, qlist didn't relate to overlays in any way.)
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>

>> With portage-2.2 you can do:
>>
>> $: emerge @live-rebuild
>>
>> This rebuilds ALL 'live' (*-9999) packages currently installed on a Gentoo
>> system. So one strategy would be to install the live packages from the x11
>> overlay and rebuild them on a regular basis using the above command. The
>> beauty of this approach is that portage still keeps track of package
>> dependencies and rebuilds them in the right order.
> I guess there's nothing in it for lost souls still on portage 2.1?
>
> If no, is it reasonably safe to upgrade?

If you want to stay with 2.1 -

emerge -1av `qlist -ICv | grep 9999 | sed -e "s/-9999*//" -e "s/-r[0-9]*//"`

Keep in mind '-9999' does not always mean live, i.e.
app-text/scrollkeeper-9999-r1 so you'll prolly get a couple extra
packages in there.

That said, I've had no issues running the latest portage 2.2 rc's.  As
long as you use quickpkg to grab a tbz2 of your current 2.1 install
the likelihood of you doing irreparable harm to your system is
minimal.

Wil