How to test & contribute my kbd layout, in xkb, for Tamil?

Sat Nov 7 08:35:58 PST 2009

veerasami wrote:
>      I'm interested to contribute a keyboard map, in Unicode, for the
> Tamil
> language, called VUTAM Type_As_You_Write.

X.Org no longer maintains keyboard maps, but relies on those provided by
our sister project xkeyboard-config:
	http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/XKeyboardConfig

Their process for contributing keyboard maps is described at:
   http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/XKeyboardConfig/Development

> 	I've made the above kbd layout for Tamil, called VUTAM. Is there a way
> make xkb recognise it, so that it could be tested? (by copying it to
> some .xkb.symbols folder in my home folder, or something similar?).

Can't you just add it to the /usr/share/X11/xkb files?   (You'll need to
use root to do so.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com