Nightly builds?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 00:22:36 PST 2009

2009/11/6 Rémi Cardona <remi at gentoo.org>:
> Le 06/11/2009 08:48, Tormod Volden a écrit :

>>> 1. Nightly builds. Did wonders for Mozilla. Binary of main supported
>>> architectures (linux/i386, opensolaris, whatever someone will be able
>>> to commit to build nightly). Download and run. Report bugs.

> Xorg is not your standard application. In nearly all distros, X is
> configured differently, with different paths, etc. So even if we did do
> binary builds, it would be much harder for users to actually "download
> and run".
> And now that X drivers are being trimmed down in favor of kernel
> drivers, that only makes things more complex.

Indeed, there is that. Hmm.

>>> 2. Make the source build easier, so people will build and run it from
>>> source for the more obscure platforms.

> My answer to that would be build.sh or jhbuild. All the info is written
> down in the wiki [1].
> Sure it could probably be easier, but it's not like there's nothing at
> all. But building from source _is_ tricky and you have to have some
> prior knowledge before building large source trees like Xorg.

Yeah. But if I can build gcc or KDE with a few shell commands (more
than configure && make && make install, but it's still pretty easy),
the problem of making it easier is not infeasible.

(Of course, then there's the problem of reliable cross-compilation, so
you can build it quickly on a modern machine for your old crusty one
... but that'll come next.)

- d.