configure xorg for flat panel

PJ af.gourmet at videotron.ca
Wed Nov 4 04:10:58 PST 2009

PJ wrote:
> Somehow, the web does show there are problems setting up flat panels but
> I have found no solutions.
> FreeBSD 7.2, Xorg 1.6 something - it's the latest for FBSD, driver is nv
> (Nvidia) FX5600, the monitor is LG W2361.
> I cannot find any errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> # Xorg -config xorg.conf.new
> produces only a black screen regardless of what mouse I may be using -
> the mouse setup is always "auto" and "sysmouse" - the log shows
> "Silkenmouse" enabled (At the moment it is an IBM usb with button (cute
> blue) :-)
> the keyboard - same stuff: specify an "us,ca" keyboard or leave it as
> default...
> Same for the mode of the monitor same non-functionality as DVI or as
> DSUB - digital or analog.
> "AllowEmptyInput" "off" only prevents getting out of the test mode -
> even ctl/Alt/Del does not respond.
> The log shows that the monitor is being detected correctly; the
> parameters for the monitor are displayed correctly... but there is no
> mouse, no keyboard, no image
> "DontZap" has no discernible effect.
> hal is on
> I have no problems with Xorg on this machine or another with analog
> monitors. All work just fine.
> Xorg just plain refuses to start... yet the monitor works fine on XP as
> digital or analog and works in dual mode with another analog monitor.
> And, yes I did read the manual and did try various options suggested on
> the web....
> So what's the story here?
> I tried to avoid bothering the list, but this is getting a little
> ridiculous.
> Oh, yes, at one point when shutting down with ctl/alt/del there was a
> very clear X in the middle of the screen - but it would not move and
> then the machine rebooted.

I see no one seems to know anything about flat panels on Xorg.

Well, I did get it up and running, but no thanks to any information in
either the xorg or freebsd manuals...

I accidentally ran startx and to my great surprise the screen came up
with fluxbox and did work, albeit very sporadically... it kept going
black and sort-of flickered.
I shutdown and checked the log and lo and behold, the configuration file
was one I had forgotten about that came from another computer from where
the current disk was cloned.
So, with a little tweaking, the thing now works - but the what and the
why excape me completely.
The configurations does not need any parameters for horiz or vertical
scanning - only the screen depth and monitor size. I guess the name of
the manufacturer and the model are irrelevant. Oh yes, the
AllowEmptyInput had to be "off" ;  the DontZap was also "off"
Setting the FlatPanel settings (3 of them) to "True" does not seem to
make any difference whether they are T of F.
So, although it now works, configuration is still a total mystery.
Does anyone understand just what is going on or are we just groping in
the dark along with our blind leaders?