Some questions about MPX

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue May 26 16:30:07 PDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 05:24:50PM +0200, K�vin DA SILVA wrote:
> I've got some questions about MPX.
> First, is it possible to use MPX without typing some commands with xinput?
> In other words, to plug a mouse and it appears a new cursor on the screen
> (like in the LiveCD Ubuntu/MPX).

MPX is both a server extension and (as part of XI2) and an API. The default
behaviour is to attach physical devices to the first master pointer or
keyboard. If you need a different behaviour, you need to trigger it
explicitly. The easiest way is using xinput, but there's no reason why one
couldn't write an applet that does so automatically.

Either way, this is not an X server problem, it's simply the lack of tools
as of yet.

> Second, in a video, I saw a stuff next
> to the "cross", which permit to enable/disable a window. Where I can find
> it?

it was a feature of the particular window manager (MPWM) and has since been
removed. The whole feature of disabling access on a per-device  basis was a
bad idea and mostly only found its way in to please the researchy crowd.
It's gone from both XI2 and from the window manager.

> Finally, is normal that I've got 2 same mice when it type "xinput --list
> --short"? Their id are different but they have got the same name and same
> comportement.

depends. a lot of wireless combos advertise two devices with the same name,
and if you plug in two mice of the same model you get the same name twice
too. Only the deviceid is guaranteed to be unique (for the lifetime of a
device).
If you have a single physical device and it shows up twice there may be
something wrong then. Please check the log for any errors and if there are
none, attach the log file to a bugreport.

Cheers,
  Peter