Intel KMS Cannot runin framebuffer mode

tsuraan tsuraan at gmail.com
Tue May 19 08:40:25 PDT 2009

I'm trying to run a KMS xorg without any config file (that seems like
the way things are going, anyhow).  I enabled KMS to be running by
default in the kernel, I removed all framebuffer drivers, leaving only
framebuffer support, and I got rid of my xorg.conf.  When I try to run
X, I get the following error:

Fatal server error:
Cannot run in framebuffer mode.  Please specify busIDs for all
framebuffer devices.

I'm using kernel 2.6.30-rc6, with xorg-server 1.5.3-r6, mesa 7.4.2,
and xf86-video-intel 2.7.1.
My hardware is a sony vaio z590, with a "Mobile 4 series chipset".  I
don't know what that is, but I know it's a pretty recent intel chip.
Attached are my Xorg.0.log and config.gz from procfs.  Any ideas would
be much appreciated.