ATI +Gnome + CompizFusion = X crash

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Mon May 18 03:23:53 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-16 at 12:32 +0000, Felipe Lotas Asta wrote:

>         Gnome 2.26.1
>         xorg-server 1.6.1-1
>         xorg-server-utils 7.4-6
>         compiz-fusion-plugins-main 0.8.2-1
>         compiz-fusion-plugins-extra 0.8.2-1
>         ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
>         xf86-video-ati 6.12.2-2

Which version of Mesa?

>         The problem is that Compiz is very unstable. Some weeks ago it was
>         working smoothly. Then came some Xorg, xf86-video-ati and Compiz updates
>         all of a sudden and compiz started to crash very frequently, logging me
>         out to GDM. Then came some more updates and thing has become better but
>         still is crashing. Facts:
>
>         1. Starting Gnome session with Compiz-fusion but without Fusion-icon
>         works for a while. Then, suddenly, X crashes and I get back to GDM.

[...]

>         3. No error messages on Xorg.log.

Are you sure you looked at the log file from the crashed X server? When
another server starts afterwards, it moves the existing log file to
Xorg.0.log.old.

If there's really nothing about the crash in the log file, you can also
check the gdm log file or the dmesg output.