XF86VidModeSetGammaRamp documentation

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Tue May 5 11:55:41 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 05 May 2009 10:57:43 am tsuraan wrote:
> The man page for XF86VidModeSetGammaRamp says to check the source for
> info on how to use it.  Where can I find this source?  On my system,
> the function is declared in X11/extensions/xf86vmode.h, which is a
> member of the xf86vidmodeproto package, but that source tarball
> doesn't contain any actual source files.  I can find references to
> SetGammaRamp in the xorg-server source, but at that point the actual
> arguments to the client-side function are lost, so I still have no
> idea how to call the function.  Any pointers would be much
> appreciated.

The best thing is to find some user land code examples.  I use these function
calls in the software that I support and that code might give you some clues
about how to use this API.  My software is LProf which is on sourceforge
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lprof/ .  You can find this code in
src/videoLUTutils/* of the source tree.  Look in LUTutil.h, LUTutil.cpp and
LUTutil-X11.cpp.

But also keep in mind that this API is now depreciated since it is being
replaced by a similar API from the XRandR 1.2 libraries.   LProf currently
does not have LUT support for XRandR since the drivers for my video card do
not have XRandR 1.2 support yet.

Hal