Attempting to track down radeon driver issue(s)?

Martin Olsson mnemo at minimum.se
Tue May 5 11:34:01 PDT 2009

Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Lowell Alleman
> <lowell at allemansonline.com> wrote:
>> I've got my X server stuck in some kind of loop that is using up nearly %100
>> of the CPU.  I have a remote ssh connection and I'm running gdb against it.
>> I've very unfamiar with debugging at this level, but I really want to
>> anything I can to help track down some X issues I'm been hitting.
>
> Your GPU has locked up.  The trick is finding what combination of
> commands and state caused the lockup.

If you had an intel gfx card and 2.6.30 kernel you could dump your batch
buffers and see what command sequence caused it. I assume there is no such
debugging facility for Radeon yet...

Lowell, try to see if you can find repro steps for the hang. Try stressing
the driver by running the screensavers in rss-glx and also try some
games and maybe even some compiz operations. Looking at previously closed
GPU hang bugs at bugs.freedesktop.org might also give you some ideas.
You might also try stressing it with x11perf or with piglit/glean.

You might also want to try different driver and mesa versions to see if
you can find known good/bad versions (and then you can git bisect from there).
Since you're using Ubuntu you can do this using the X-Updates PPA or using
the xorg-edgers PPA.

		Martin