r200 exa performance regression in xserver-1.6?

Daniel Kasak daniel.kasak at 247realmedia.com
Wed Mar 25 22:15:47 PDT 2009

Hi all.

I've brought an old r200 card out of retirement to bring some bling to
my work desktop. I was running xserver-1.5.something with an integrated
nvidia card. I did an upgrade to xserver-1.6, mesa-7.4-rc1 and
xf86-video-radeon-6.12.0.

I don't have any figures for previous software on this hardware, but I
can say that back when I was using this card at home on my old server,
it used to *fly* - particularly after the exa-zero-copy-tfp landed. I
certainly didn't get jumpiness or pauses like I'm getting now.

So anyway, I'm running ecomorph ( compiz port for E17 ), and most of the
effects are very slow and jumpy.

I did a quick sysprof test while switching desktops, and it looks like
it's all in memcpy:

miClearToBackground                                         0.00  77.45
  miPaintWindow                                             0.00  77.45
    ValidateGC                                              0.00  77.45
      In file /usr/bin/Xorg                                 0.00  77.45
        In file /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libexa.so             0.00  77.45
          exaPrepareAccessGC                                0.00  77.45
            exaPrepareAccess                                0.00  77.45
              exaPrepareAccessReg                           0.00  77.45
                exaDoMigration                              0.00  77.45
                  In file /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libexa.so   0.00  77.45
                    memcpy                                 77.45  77.45

Full sysprof output: http://entropy.homelinux.org/r200_exa.sysprof
X log: http://entropy.homelinux.org/Xorg.0.log

I can do more extensive testing later. I suppose next is to actually go
back to an earlier xserver and test, right?

Dan