Kernel modesetting

tsuraan tsuraan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 09:05:33 PDT 2009

I have a laptop with an intel VGA controller, and I'd like to try the
new kernel modesetting from the 2.6.29 kernel.  What xorg intel driver
version, xorg version, etc do I need to try this out?  Also, will it
be possible to use DRI and Xinerama in this configuration, or is that
impossible for some other reason?

My Intel chip, from lspci -v:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series
Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07) (prog-if 00 [VGA
controller])
        Subsystem: Sony Corporation Device 9025
        Memory at e8400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
        Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        I/O ports at 8130 [size=8]
        Capabilities: [90] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit-
Count=1/1 Enable+
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 3