[ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel 2.6.99.901

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Mar 17 16:47:53 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-17 at 09:22 -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > It would be misleading to take the output of something like "git log
> > 2.6.3..2.6.99.901" since that would list several bug fixes as being
> > "new" since 2.6.3 when in fact the same fixes were already cherry-picked
> > to the 2.6 branch and were present in 2.6.3.
>
> A better way is when it is target to the maint branch (2.6 in your case)
> you should try to commit on it and merge it from time to time at master
> (or 2.7 in your case).

I'm still failing to explain things I think. :-)

The 2.6.3 release was made on the maintenance branch named "2.6". Our
2.7 release candidates, (including 2.6.99.901), are being made from a
*new* maintenance branch named "2.7".

Oh, or maybe you understood that just fine. Perhaps you're saying that
instead of committing to master and cherry-picking to the master branch,
we could instead commit bug fixes to the maintenance branch and then
merge that into master periodically? Yes, that's certainly possible, and
I've had good success doing that kind of thing with other projects.
That's just not the way the xf86-video-intel team has been doing things
before. But maybe we'll try that at some point.

-Carl