clarification requested: apparent termination of xrx project due to deletion of lbx from xorg

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Tue Mar 17 06:20:37 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 00:06 +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 12:36:18PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > the first one says that LBX is deprecated.  however, has any
> > replacement for LBX been written _before_ deprecating it? has any
> > replacement been considered?
>
> Yes -- SSH.

Yes, as Daniel says, with SSH. Detailed analysis is available here:

http://keithp.com/~keithp/talks/usenix2003/

While I do not doubt that something better than SSH could be done, the
results there show that with current applications/toolkits, SSH does
better than LBX in just about all ways.  And Xcb may provide yet better
latency hiding mechanisms; working in toolkits to support it may
be/probably is a better use of effort than an X specific specialized
compressor.

> > the second one  says "xproxymngproto is no longer supported" due to
> > certain libraries having been deleted from xorg (presumably lbx). that
> > implies that the xrx project, the only way of embedding unix
> > applications into web browsers, is, by inference, "no longer
> > supported".
>
> Yes.

Please go right ahead and figure out the dependency you need.  More
maintainers and developers are always welcome.
                   - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org>