libxcb-xlib.la failures when building X11 with libxcb-1.2

Halim Issa yallaone at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 05:19:42 PDT 2009

I recently set out to rebuild X11 with new xorg-server, new mesa, new drm and a few others.

However, after upgrading to libxcb-1.2, I have a hard time compiling a number of packages such as libXdamage and libXaw.

They all fail while looking for libxcb-xlib.la which according to changelog was removed on purpose.

grep: /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.la: No such file or directory
/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.la: No such file or directory
libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.la' is not a valid libtool archive

I am sure I am not the first to have run into this, but I have not been able to google any good solutions, just a plethora of questions similar to this one.

Can anyone kindly point me to a place where a solution or background to this problem is described?

Thanks in advance!