Does xcb really need python?

David Wuertele dave+gmane at wuertele.com
Sun Mar 15 00:48:40 PDT 2009

I tried compiling libX11-1.2 but it asked for libxcb-1.1.92 or newer.  I tried
compiling libxcb-1.1.92 but it asked for python-2.5 or newer.  Because of the
crazy package dependencies in my workstation, upgrading its python-2.3 to
python-2.5 is impossible (hooray for outsourced IT).  Also, my build script has
to work for dozens of developers who have the same python version as me and the
same inability to upgrade.  I forced libxcb's configure script to accept my
python version, but then libxcb died during the build due to the incompatibility.

Stymied by the python requirement, I tried backing down to libxcb-1.1 which
doesn't require it.  That compiled fine.  But now I had to back down to
libX11-1.1.  libX11-1.1's build failed due to what appears to be a known bug.
Googling says that the only cure is to go to libX11-1.2!

I can't build libxcb-1.1.92/libX11-1.2 because I don't have new enough python.
I can't build libxcb-1.1/libX11-1.1 because libX11-1.1 is broken.  What's the
solution?

I don't need the python bindings.  I just want to build a server that works.
Can I disable the python features of libxcb-1.1.92 or newer?

Dave

PS I'm cross-compiling for multiple architectures.  If I seem to be the only
person with this problem, that's probably the reason.