Xinerama like behavior with xrandr

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen eirik at opera.com
Wed Mar 11 08:15:58 PDT 2009

Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Daniel Gultsch <daniel at gultsch.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've finaly decided to get myself a new external Monitor for my
>> Thinkpad. I want to use it like xinerame does. (different resolutions
>> for internal and external and different screens and apps like the kicker
>> under kde going only over one of the monitors. and when I maximize one
>> window I only want to have it on one of the screen) But Xinerama is
>> deprecated now and I want to use xrandr. xrandr in clone mode works
>> just fine, but when i use left-of or below I have ONE big screen with
>> windows going along both of them.
>> How can I use xrandr in a xinerama like enviroment?
>
> Yes.  you can use xrandr to configure dualhead on the fly.  It also
> provides screen geometry information for xinerama aware apps and
> window managers.
> http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

Which probably means:

The "xinerama" implementation in the old XFree86 servers is
deprecated.  So you shouldn't use that to configure your monitors.
Use xrandr instead.

The xinerama X11 protocol, supplying information to clients on the
screen geometry is NOT deprecated.  Any replacement for the old
xinerama server stuff should still support this (and xrandr does).

Which agains leads to Julians answer:

> On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 13:30 +0000, Daniel Gultsch wrote:
> > xinerama use flag turned of.
>
> Don't do that.

(i.e. you still want your applications to understand the xinerama
hints.)

eirik