xinerama is broken in xorg-server 1.5.3

Claudinei Matos claudineimatos at hospedevip.com.br
Wed Mar 11 07:33:44 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm a Gentoo user and I was using a xinerama setup since the last 2
years. Last days I've decided to give KDE 4.2 a try and as long as it
needed xorg-server 1.5.3, I've upgraded mine from 1.3.0.0. Since then I
can not start X with a 2 screens setup anymore, but only with the
primary one.

I've also noticed that if I do try to start X only on my second vga
board which is a PCI one, it just hangs on a black screen and I can't
even hit Ctrl+C at the terminal to stop X, the only way is to kill X
with a -9 signal.
After that the terminal get's abosolutely unusable as only some random
pixels are draw at the screen.

To be able to use the second card instead of the first (an AGP one) I've
to change VGA's priority at BIOS and after that, I will not be able to
start X on the AGP one, just the PCI.

I think it's not a specific Gentoo bug as long as a friend of mine
experienced the same problem on an Ubuntu with also xorg-server 1.5.3
(right now he's using a dual head board with TwinView).

I know I can buy a cheap video card with dual head support but I don't
want to spend money with a machine which I'll probably change in 1 year.
Also I may get back to xorg-server 1.3.0.0 or even give 1.4 a try but
for that, I'll need to downgrade KDE to 4.1 and I really do not want to
do it.

Is there anybody else having problem with xinerama and/or switching
between multiple video cards?

Thanks in advance,

Claudinei Matos