[RFC] XI2 draft protocol specification (v 0.1)

Simon Thum simon.thum at gmx.de
Tue Mar 10 03:53:58 PDT 2009

Peter Hutterer wrote:
> yeah, of course. sorry. what I meant was that the value x is sent as x * (1 <<
> 16). A little test program for random values between 0 and 0xFFFF showed an
> average rounding error of 0x000008.
I can't judge whether that is good or bad :)
IMO for the protocol, definition is more important than impl. 1<<16
should be valid, one can work out rounding later.

> tbh. I am also contemplating to just send IEEE floats/doubles over the wire
> and get on with life.
I'm not really against it, but that's essentially wasting the exponent
bits. I'd say fixed is a better match, although I'd prefer 24.8 for
on-screen coords. I don't think we have information beyond n.4 in any case.