Virtual screen sizes no longer working in radeon.

Thomas Richter thor at math.tu-berlin.de
Sat Mar 7 05:37:42 PST 2009

Alex Deucher wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Thomas Richter <thor at math.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> due to my profession, I often have to work with larger images and use,
>> for this reason, an oversized desktop on a regular sized monitor. Up to
>> the 6.6.x driver series (? I hope ?) this worked correctly with the
>> following configuration

>> Thus, my questions:
>>
>> o) Any hope for a fix of this?
>> o) As it seems, old versions of the driver like this chipset o.k., so
>> any chance getting an older version to compile on this machine?
>>
>> Before you ask: No, getting a better supported graphics card is not an
>> option. This is a desktop workplace at a university, and installing new
>> hardware there is a major hassle as it has to go through the administration.
>
> Virtual desktop scrolling got dropped when xrandr 1.2 support was
> added to the driver.  It has since been re-added, but requires xserver
> 1.6 and xrandr 1.3.

Any chance of finding the sources of this, so I could try? I would
(apparently) need the X.org sources, the sources of the new radeon
driver, and (I suppose) xrandr 1.3.

Do I guess correctly if I say that the interfaces remain stable, i.e. I
do not need to rebuild other applications?

Is there (probably) a debian (lenny) backport for this?

Greetings,
	Thomas

P.S.: The backport of 6.11.0 didn't work any better, unfortunately.