how glx extension uses the software render

Mustafizur Rahaman mustafizur.rahaman at azingo.com
Thu Mar 5 01:56:57 PST 2009

Hi,

I also faced the same problem sometime back , but any how after lot of
debugging and analyzing the code, i have got some sort of understanding,
which i am sharing.If anywhere, my understanding is not correct, i
apologize for that.

Check for these three files  1>glxcmds.c & glxext.c & 2> glxapi.c in
mesa code. If you see the Makefiles, glxcmds.c & glxext.c is built for
direct rendering & glxapi.c is built for indirect rendering, not both of
them are built at the same time with the client program.

So, let's take glxgear.c code for example and track the code flow, e.g.
following would be the code flow for glXCreateContext for indirect
rendering case..

glXCreateContext==>Fake_glXCreateContext==>XMesaCreateContext==>_mesa_initialize_context==>_mesa_init_exec_table==>Inside
here, you can see all the mesa s/w functions are initialized.

For direct rendering case, the following would be the flow...

glXCreateContext==>XF86DRICreateContextWithConfig==> Then it goes to dri
driver's create context and like this...

I would request you to debug the code for indirect rendering for glxgear
and see the code flow.And paralelly, try to follow the code flow for
direct rendering(by code reading if you can't debug)..that's the way i
followed...

Have patient..because believe me, you will need that.. :-)

Regs,
Rahaman.