xf86-input-synaptics 1.0.99.3

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Mar 4 01:16:21 PST 2009

'Twas brillig, and Peter Hutterer at 04/03/09 06:58 did gyre and gimble:
> Another snapshot before the release since a number of fixes went into this
> one.
>
> Most notably, syndaemon updated to use device properties by default. And a fix
> that caused synclient with properties to fail on 64-bit machines.
>
> Peter Hutterer (12):
>       synclient: print an error if we can't find the synaptics device.
>       syndaemon: fix minor typo in --help output.
>       syndaemon: remove enable/disable_touchpad(), use toggle_touchpad instead
>       syndaemon: move shm code into shm_init().
>       syndaemon: if we wanted XRECORD, but it failed, exit.
>       syndaemon: use device properties unless SHM is requested.
>       syndaemon: disable XRecord by default.
>       synclient: XCloseDisplay doesn't like NULL-pointers.
>       syndaemon: needs XI_LIBS to link now.
>       synclient: don't print driver's package version info.
>       Don't auto-include xorg-server.h in config.h
>       Bump to 1.0.99.3

On a related note here Peter, I'm getting hugely negative feedback on
the default two-finger-scroll and non-tapbutton1 settings. That's not a
problem here but essentially I'm going to have to tweak the defaults or
suffer lynching in the streets!

So I've a couple questions you can maybe answer for me.

1. Are you tweaking things in Fedora (can't see anything obvious when I
peak!)
2. What would be the recommended way to tweak things?

I can do one of two things:
  A. Patch the synaptics driver.
or
  B. Configure things in the FDI file, and patch the Xserver to ignore
synaptics in the same way it currently ignores keyboard and [vm]mouse.
If the user does not want to use hal then they wire it up themselves -
they should be canny enough to work out the configuration needed if they
are configuring their config in this way.

That said, I'm looking for the path of least maintenance too. I think B
is the "neater" solution, but only if you see this ultimately going into
the xserver.

So, in short WDYT?

Col

--