Newer libtool breaking libXfont with -Wl, -single_module (Was Re: autoreconf issue with libXfont)

Peter O'Gorman peter at pogma.com
Mon Mar 2 17:25:58 PST 2009

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> Ok, after a bit more poking, this seems to be a fairly annoying bug
> with glibtool.
>
> Minimizing any chance of conflict, I have a working build using the
> libtool provided by configure in the tarball, and I have a broken
> build if I replace it with glibtool-1.5.26 after running ./configure.
> The delta between the verbose output of the builds is below.  For
> those not willing to go crosseyed looking for the difference, it's
> just a single -Wl,-single_module being added to the linking in the
> 'broken' build.  This is not my area of expertise... so if someone
> could fill me in on why that is winding up in LDFLAGS and why it's
> causing up problems, I'd appreciate it...

Hi Jeremy,

Sorry, I don't read the Xorg lists that often, I was marking messages as
read today when I happened to notice this. Please bring up issues with
libtool either with me, or on the bug-libtool at gnu.org lists.

I added -Wl,-single_module to libtool on the request of a couple of
Apple engineers a few years ago. For the vast majority of circumstances
it should make no difference whatsoever, however there exist some areas
where it may make a difference (interposing).

export LT_MULTI_MODULE=yes; ./configure; make should "fix" this for you.

-single_module is the default in 10.5, and -multi_module is marked as
"obsolete" in the ld man page, are you seeing these problems on 10.5?

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman
http://pogma.com