Xlib/GLX multiple displays and threads

Rohit Garg rpg.314 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 09:47:26 PST 2009

Hi,

I am writing an app that needs to render different stuff to different
windows (not full screen). Windows (the correct X name for that is
display right?) are completely independent and share no data and have
no communication. Naturally, I want to use multiple threads to do it.
Ie, each thread has some local data and renders to it's window,
blissfully unaware of what other thread does in the other window. All
manipulation is via keyboard/mouse input. IE, no toolbars/widgets to
bother with.

Can Xlib+glx+opengl be used in this manner? In this case would I need
to lock a mutex or call XInitThreads()/Xlockdisplay()/xunlockdisplay()
at each instance of a x function call? I really don't want to do that.

Running multiple processes will alleviate the pain but will make some
other things difficult in other places. If it is not going to be as
simple as an embarrassingly parallel thing, then please let me know.

--
Rohit Garg

http://rpg-314.blogspot.com/

Senior Undergraduate