[ANNOUNCE] xorg-server 1.6.1.902

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Mon Jun 29 23:46:21 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 16:03 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> Thanks to Ajax for moving the DRI2 changes into the 1.6 branch, now I've
> pulled the remaining queued patches and have pushed this as 1.6.1.902
> (1.6.2 RC2). If no-one finds any catastrophic bugs, [...]

How about: The DRI2 changes seem to break the video driver ABI, and
apparently Mesa without corresponding changes (which will only be in the
upcoming 7.5 release) as well. See Brice Goglin's report from a couple
of days ago.

You rejected backports before based on breaking ABI.

Don't get me wrong, I like the functionality those DRI2 changes fix, but
surely they could have been done without breaking about every binary
interface involved. If the video driver ABI won't be restored, this
should be reflected by bumping its major version, and the changes
breaking it should wait for the next major release like other such
changes.