Dualscreen layout with RadeonHD-driver

Sebastian Beßler sebastian at darkmetatron.de
Sat Jun 27 12:47:14 PDT 2009

Hello,

I have a desktop-PC with a Radeon HD3650 and two always connected
displays. The first and main display is a TFT-monitor (1440x900), the
second a TV (1280x720) connected via HDMI-cable. The TV is only used for
watching videos, I even disabled Multihead Support in KDE3.5 so that my
TV works with a plain black X-Root-window.

With the fglrx-driver it is possible to define two seperated screens,
:0.0 and :0.1, via xorg.conf. With that setup I can easy use
vlc -X11-display :0.1 -f to have a video in fullscreen on my TV.

Now I search for a equal setup with RadeonHD-driver. The normal
radeon-driver doesn't work because it can't use HDMI.

Replacing the fglrx driver with radeonhd in xorg.conf and restart X only
 gives me a clone-setup.
After hours of try and error the best I get is a BigScreen but this
isn't acceptable. Instead of using one command to start a video on my TV
I have to start the video, drag the output-window to the TV and then put
it into fullscreen.
Another problem with this setup is, that my windows maximise over both
screens, my KDE 3.5 panels (I have one right and the one bellow) are
streched out over both screens.
I can't work with this setup.

Is there a way to use RadeonHD and a real DualScreen (:0.0 and :0.1) setup?

As both screens are connected all the time and the computer is a
Desktop-PC a static xorg.conf-Setup is fine. If the only way goes over
xrandr thats fine too, but I would prefer a xorg.conf-setup.

I hope anybody could help me here.

Greetings

Sebastian Beßler