X server segfaults, locks the console with kernel mode-setting on Intel 945GME

Marek Szuba scriptkiddie at wp.pl
Wed Jun 24 13:17:16 PDT 2009

Hello,

I have been trying to enable kernel mode-setting on my EeePC 901
(Intel 945GME), with the X server version 1.5.3 and a very recent
Intel video driver. Unfortunately, there have been problems:
 - if launched by xdm (wdm, to be precise), the login screen looks
normal but the session freezes right after logging in, showing a
segmentation fault in the X log;
 - if launched by xinit, the resulting xterm window has got its fonts
hopelessly garbled and the session freezes when I try to exit X,
showing a segmentation fault in the X log.

Attached you will find X logs for both cases.

The freeze affects the display and the input devices, then again the
system itself remains active and responds to e.g. remote login attempts
or pre-set shutdown instructions. Before the freeze I can normally
switch back and forth between text consoles and the X session.
Mode-setting itself appears to work fine, as the system correctly
enables inteldrmfb and switches to the display's native resolution at
boot time, as well as switches between text consoles and X much faster
than without it.

As the logs show, I obtained them while running a 2.6.29 kernel. Since
then I have tried the same with 2.6.30, with exactly the same results.

If you need any more information, please let me know!

Best regards,
--
MS