RFC: Xv field order

Krzysztof Halasa khc at pm.waw.pl
Wed Jun 24 06:23:44 PDT 2009

Thomas Hilber <xorg at toh.cx> writes:

> Scaling interlaced material vertically is supported by at least overlay
> video on i9xx chips.

Hmm. Can't check at the moment (will do later) but I think I had
problems with _unscaled_ overlay (i.e. the VGA output set to
720x576x50i, pixel clock 13.5 MHz). It looked like the chip was
performing some filtering. I was obviously unable to xwd-check the
resulting RGB image but it was certainly lower res.

> right, when playing non-live data VGA output timing needs not to be synced
> to an external signal. But for live-TV it's crucial if you don't want to lose
> fields/frames.

I wonder what is the difference between the on-air frame rate and
your card's (fixed) one? 100 ppm would need one second of additional
(initial) buffering for ca. 3 hours of playback. I think the players
initially buffer more than 1 second, don't they?
--
Krzysztof Halasa