FreeGLUT MPX patch [was: Unpredictable Behaviour with XI2 and XI_Enter]

Florian Echtler floe at butterbrot.org
Mon Jun 22 02:59:39 PDT 2009

> after the call to XMapWindow() your client and the WM work in parallel, so
> it's a race to who is faster - your client in selecting the event mask or
> the window manager in mapping the window.
> The correct way to avoid that problem is to simply move the event mask
> selection up that at the time of mapping, the events are already selected.
>
> 1. create window
> 2. select for core events
> 3. select for XI2 events.
> 4. map window
> ==== server generates events here

Hello Peter,

many thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize that the WM is
involved, too - but thinking about it a bit more, it makes sense.
Fixing this in the FreeGLUT patch was almost trivial, so for all
interested parties, here's the most current version where XI_Enter
now works as expected:

http://tisch.sourceforge.net/freeglut-2.6.0-mpx-r3.patch

Thanks again,
Yours, Florian