Having multiple X users on the console

Timothy S. Nelson wayland at wayland.id.au
Sun Jun 21 04:21:45 PDT 2009

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009, Angel Tsankov wrote:

> I need to set up a workstation for use by two (or more) users.  Each of them
> will have their own account and will use X with some desktop environment --
> most probably Xfce -- to do their work.  In this scenario, will it be
> possible for any of them to use his/her account on the console without
> having other users end their X sessions?

 	If I understand correctly, you could do this:
1.	Ensure you set up something like xlock for each user
2.	Teach them how to use Ctrl+Alt+F7 (or whatever) to go to the different
 	virtual consoles.
3.	Either put a gdm/xdm/whatever on a few different consoles, or teach
 	them to use " startx -- :1 & " as their X starting command line

| Name: Tim Nelson                 | Because the Creator is,        |
| E-mail: wayland at wayland.id.au    | I am                           |