configuration of MPX

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Jun 16 15:06:48 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:59:09PM +0800, liming cheng wrote:
> Hi,
>        I followed the insrtuctions on  the page
> http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx/?q=downloads and
> http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx/?q=configuration,I built xserver by
> build.sh and got all the source code by git_xorg.sh.The source code is in
> /var/tmp/src and the binary is in /var/tmp/modular.The version of my server
> is X.Org X Server 1.6.0,and use the Ubuntu 9.04.

just a warning: as the last blog post said - this blog has not been updated
for nearly a year now.

>        I edit the file xorg.conf(Appendix 1),When I type "export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/var/tmp/modular/lib, xinit -- /var/tmp/modular/bin/Xorg" to
> start the mpx ,I got the error(Appendix 2).
>        Now I have two questions:
>        1)How do I fix the error(Appendix 2)?
>        2)Will I see two or more mice if I start the mpx successfully by
> typing "xinit -- /var/tmp/modular/bin/Xorg",alternatively,what can I see if
> I start the mpx successfully?

you'll see one cursor, both mice controlling the same cursor. to create
another cursor, run xinput --create-master "some name", then reattach the mouse
to the new master pointer, i.e. xinput --reattach "my mouse device" "some
name pointer".
I've described that before, so if you google for xinput --reattach you
probably find a much more extensive description.

[ skipped the rest of the log ]
> (EE) XKB: Couldn't open rules file
> /var/tmp/modular/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev
> XKB: Failed to compile keymap
> Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect setup
> of xkeyboard-config.
  ^^ as the error message says.
  git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xkeyboard-config, or symlink your
  /var/tmp/modular/share/X11/xkb to your existing /usr/share/X11/xkb.

Cheers,
  Peter