How to run the X xserver in a chroot environment

Tino Keitel tino.keitel+xorg at tikei.de
Thu Jun 11 13:54:52 PDT 2009

Hi,

as the Intel driver is very fragile recently, I want to test it in a
chroot environment, and keep the stable 2.4 driver in the normal
system. This implies that I also keep an old version of the X server in
the normal system. So I installed a chroot system. But HAL can not be
used in a chroot, and without HAL, I get not input devices in the X
server.

Is there a way to solve this? Like using the HAL from the normal system
inside the chroot, by bind-mounting or hard linking the proper
dirs/files? I already tried this, but found nothing HAL related. I
bind-mounted /var/run/dbus inside the chroot, and lshal works. But X
still shows this error:

(II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
(II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.
(II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
        If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable
AllowEmptyInput.

Regards,
Tino