xfs problem on Ubuntu/Intrepid

Pierre Frenkiel pierre.frenkiel at laposte.net
Tue Jun 9 04:45:32 PDT 2009

hi everybody,
I don't understand the behaviour of the xfs server, on Ubuntu/Intrepid
The Files section of my xorg.conf is just:
     Section "Files"
         FontPath   "unix/:7100"
     EndSection

1/ on some machines, I have with some programs (for example gv):

        Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font

     and the program doesn't start.

     After restarting xfs, the problem disappears.

2/ on some other machines, it's worse: I have this problem
     with all X11 programs. Again, the problem disappears after
     restarting xfs.

3/ the problem disappears on all machines with all programs after
     removing the xfs package! (the /usr/share/fonts directories
     are loaded automatically by the X server)

Can anybody explain this behaviour, and tell me what is the use of xfs now?

I'm running Intrepid on all these machines, and I never had this kind of
problem with Hardy.

cheers,
--
Pierre Frenkiel