help configuring a 30" apple cinema display

Robby Findler robby at eecs.northwestern.edu
Thu Jun 4 07:56:16 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Maarten Maathuis <madman2003 at gmail.com> wrote:
> You can only addmode after newmode.

Right. I did them in the correct order (well, once I realized my
mistake) to get the error message from my last message.

> I would expect a monitor to have it's native resolution in edid.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I put what appears to be the
relevant output from xrandr --verbose below (after I got rid of my
manually added 2560x1600 mode)...?

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 9:40 AM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> What card are you using?  2560x1600 requires dual-link DVI which not
> all cards support.

I believe it is supported by the card because it works when I boot
under mac os x.

Here is the info from the mac os x side (I'm not sure how to get this
info from X):

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT:

  Chipset Model:	NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
  Type:	Display
  Bus:	PCIe
  Slot:	Slot-1
  PCIe Lane Width:	x16
  VRAM (Total):	512 MB
  Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:	0x0602
  Revision ID:	0x00a2
  ROM Revision:	3233
  Displays:
Cinema HD Display:
  Resolution:	1920 x 1200
  Depth:	32-Bit Color
  Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
  Mirror:	Off
  Online:	Yes
  Quartz Extreme:	Supported
  Rotation:	Supported
Cinema HD:
  Resolution:	2560 x 1600
  Depth:	32-Bit Color
  Core Image:	Hardware Accelerated
  Main Display:	Yes
  Mirror:	Off
  Online:	Yes
  Quartz Extreme:	Supported
  Rotation:	Supported

Thanks,
Robby

---

DVI1 connected 1280x800+1920+0 (0x41) normal (normal) 641mm x 401mm
	Identifier: 0x3e
	Timestamp:  22656
	Subpixel:   unknown
	Clones:
	CRTC:       1
	CRTCs:      0 1
	Panning:    0x0+0+0
	Tracking:   0x0+0+0
	Border:     0/0/0/0
	Transform:  1.000000 0.000000 0.000000
	            0.000000 1.000000 0.000000
	            0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
	           filter:
	EDID_DATA:
		00ffffffffffff0006102192fee80102
		2f1201038040287828fe85a3574a9c25
		13505400000001010101010101010101
		010101010101bc1b00a0502017303020
		360081912100001ab06800a0a0402e60
		3020360081912100001a000000ff0043
		59383437304c43584d500a00000000fc
		0043696e656d612048440a0000000142
	scale: aspect
	dither: 0 (0x00000000)	range:  (0,1)
  1280x800 (0x41)   71.0MHz +HSync -VSync *current
        h: width  1280 start 1328 end 1360 total 1440 skew    0 clock   49.3KHz
        v: height  800 start  803 end  809 total  823           clock   59.9Hz